Monday, April 26, 2010

5K vs. 5M

J and I ran in our second 5K this weekend. It was amazing...and by that I mean amazingly difficult. In hindsight I believe the first 5K we ran will in fact be the easiest, this one was littered with hills, potholes, mud and of course up to 60 mile per hour wind. Sounds like perfect running conditions to me. We have our third race this weekend and are apparently ready to step it up a notch (while I type this my legs are shaking) so thanks to attending the gym 7 days a week now we feel up to a 5 mile race. The difference between 5M and 5K may only be a consonant to some, to us it will be one additional blister and at least one more leg cramp. I am pretty sure most everyone reading this has been to Garden of the Gods, the race this weekend will take us through the hilly parts of that road that meanders through the park, I have literally owned little sedans that couldn't make it up these hills...and at the ripe old age of 30 (now that I am a runner) I will be hauling myself and my third grader up and around these hills, but not on a bet or a dare...in fact I will have to pay $30 to have the pleasure of adding these blisters to my repertoire.

J and I used to collect beer tour t-shirts, drink so many beers get a t-shirt. We wore them proud, but we noticed now that we are collecting running t-shirts we used to get beer shirts in larges and now we are getting mediums....hmmm sounds like nothing more than a coincidence or our craziness is actually working and we are shrinking.

I watched the movie about Dr. Kevorkian last night. I didn't know much about him past the obvious in that he was nicknamed Dr. Death. But in watching this movie I was quite astonished by how much of an activist he was for what he believes in. He never took payments for what he did and while he was nicknamed Dr. Death his true purpose was just help those in pain end their suffering which in all cases (except one that got him thrown in prison) was done at their own hands. He would give them the trigger to pull for either the gas or the lethal injection and they would just go to sleep. I watched my Grandmother die of complications to Alzheimer's, it was terribly hard for her for 10 years...her mind was completely gone but her body still functioning until the end when she was hospitalized with no mind and no body but still breathing I can't speak for her but if it were me I would have rather gone peacefully. She spent every day confused and scared because she didn't know where she was or who we were and why we would be visiting. Sounds like hell on earth to me.

I suppose to each their own, but I have never understood the concept of suicide being illegal. In our society we pound into our youth that they are responsible for their little bodies and actions and no one can make you do something that you don't want to...you are in complete control until such time as you would like to take your life, then that is illegal. My friend that just killed himself will be missed horribly and while I do not understand what he did and why he did it, I don't believe he committed a crime.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Am I the only person who thinks it odd that you mention a 5 mile race and euthanasia in the same post?

Seriously though, kudos on taking on the 5k. As far as Dr. Kevorkian: I couldn't agree more. He isn't "murdering" people; anyone who's had a loved one die slowly and painfully over several years (my grandmother also died of Alzheimer's) know that death CAN be the relief they need. I certainly don't think it should be a crime. I do think, as a society, we have to be careful defining euthanasia, but I think we need to be more progressive about addressing it as a real subject, instead of another hot button issue where people spew hateful words at each other without thinking.